Posted on September 17, 2015
Technology advances daily, keeping up is costly. Thanks to New York State Education Department 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant, Boys & Girls Club of Buffalo members will have access to iPad Labs set-up in four (4) of our area Clubs.
Each lab includes 30 iPads per location and Club members will soon benefit from group and individual learning activities. Staff is currently being trained on general & acceptable usage policies, sign out procedures and mobile applications at each site.
All labs will be fully operational by mid-December and will be an added resource during our after school and summer programs.
Working in small groups and individually, youth will utilize the following mobile applications:
- Science 360: provides easy access to engaging science and engineering images and videos from around the globe and a continuous newsfeed featuring breaking news from NSF-funded institutions.
- 5 Dice: Order of Operations Game – 21st Century Math Game
- Khan Academy: this complete library of over 4,200 videos and articles will teach youth how to conduct research for school projects.
- Exoplanet: this highly visual & interactive catalogue of all known exoplanets will teach youth about planets and orbiting stars beyond our solar system.
- Go Sky Watch Planetarium: will help youth easily and quickly identify and locate stars, planets and constellations.
- Green Planet 4 Kids: will teach everyday ways to become environmentally friendly in their own home.
- Obie’s Space Adventure: this interactive story teaches kids about space.
- Educreations Interactive Whiteboard: a unique interactive whiteboard and screencasting tool that’s simple, powerful & fun to use.
- Flashcards: will explore math with Desmos! Plot functions, create tables, add sliders, animate graphics & more.
- Haiku Deck: creates beautiful presentations that will help youth pitch an idea, tell a story, teach a lesson and ignite a movement.
- iBooks: youth will have the ability to download & read books.
- Word Stack: challenges the brain while having fun with new work associations.
Through tutoring and other academic enrichment activities along with a broad array of youth development opportunities that complement their regular academic programs, Boys & Girls Clubs of Buffalo can help students meet state and local student standards in core academic subjects, such as English language arts and math.